Prepare skin as discussed previously
- Elevate foot
- Palpate neurovascular bundle as it courses over the abaxial surfaces of the proximal sesamoid bones.
- Insert needle at basisesamoid level on axial side of n-v bundle. (25gx5/8") Point needle slightly abaxial and distally. Do medial and lateral nerves.
- Attach needle to syringe. With one hand support the hub of the needle and with the other hand check for blood and then inject 2-3mL mepivicaine per site.
- Wait 5-10 minutes, check for skin sensation, and reassess lameness.
- All of structures anaesthetized by PD n.block
- Three phalanges
- Coffin and Pastern joints
- Entire corium
- Entire sole
- Dorsal branches of suspensory ligament
- Digital extensor tendon
- Distal sesamoidean ligaments
- +/- Proximal sesamoid bones
- +/- Palmar fetlock joint
Common Conditions Diagnosed
- Ring bone
- Soft tissue injuries of pastern
- Occasionally block fetlock or sesamoid problems