Treatment and Prevention of Hairy Heel Warts/Strawberries
- Tet-324 by Phoenix (324 grams of tetracycline HCL per pound or 51 grams per 2 scoops)
- Distilled water
- Basically, you always will mix 102 grams of tetracycline HCL in 1 gallon of distilled water
- *If using the 2 lb. pail of TET-324, add 4 scoops of powder into 1 gallon of distilled water
Suggested treatment regime:
- Treat all feet of all cows once daily for 7 days
Week 2 and week 3
- Treat all feet of all cows once daily every other day or 3 days a week (Mon., Wed., Fri.)
- Treat all feet of all cows once a week
After week 4
- Treat all feet of all cows once a week or once every 2 weeks or once a month. You have to determine what works at your farm in order to control hairy heel wart/strawberry heel.
*Cows with very large aggressive lesions may need to be pulled and wrapped with a tetracycline wrap to completely cure the lesion.
It is important to not forget the dry cows or heifers that will be joining the herd when they calve.